The Federal Commission for Nutrition (FCN) is an extra-parliamentary commission that acts in an advisory capacity. It prepares opinions and recommendations for the Federal Council and the FSVO and advises the FSVO in implementing the action plan of the Swiss Nutrition Policy. In addition, the Commission supports and advises the FSVO in organising the annual Swiss Nutrition Policy Forum.
The Commission supports and advises the FSVO in implementing the action plan of the Swiss Nutrition Policy 2017–2024.
As a scientifically oriented extra-parliamentary commission, it prepares opinions on current topics relevant to the FSVO. Its members’ different areas of expertise enable the Commission to consider and answer a wide range of questions. The resulting recommendations or proposals for action are therefore broadly supported. The FSVO uses these recommendations or proposed measures as a basis for formulating nutritional recommendations or for launching activities in cooperation with relevant stakeholders from the fields of health promotion, industry and consumer protection.
The Commission draws the FSVO’s attention to areas where a scientific basis is required for implementation of the Swiss Nutrition Policy action plan and where there is a need for action. If the FSVO orders relevant studies, the Commission can issue opinions and formulate recommendations and proposed measures.
In addition, the Commission supports and advises the FSVO in organising the annual Swiss Nutrition Policy Forum.
(Source: Verfügung über die Einsetzung der Eidgenössischen Ernährungskommission (EEK) 2020–2023)
The FCN Committee consists of three members who meet twice a year. The Committee is responsible for preparing the business of Plenary Commission meetings (main topic, proposed topics, etc.) and for preparing the agenda.
The Plenary Commission consists of 15 members who meet twice a year. It is the advisory board for the Federal Council.
The Commission members are elected by the Federal Council ad personam for a term of four years.
The most recent elections took place on 27 November 2019.
Members of the Commission include representatives from education and research in the field of nutritional sciences, food sciences and nutritional medicine (universities, research institutes and hospitals), industry (food industry, food trade, sectoral associations) and non-governmental organisations (consumer protection, public health).
- Discusses scientific reports and recommendations put forward by the Commission
- Discusses and issues opinions on current public health issues addressed to the authorities (e.g. FSVO), especially in the area of health promotion
- Submits proposals and suggestions to the FSVO for surveys and investigations on nutritional issues
The FCN Secretariat is located within the FSVO.
Reports and publications
Prise de position de la COFA sur le projet « Nutritional Reference Values (NRVs) for Switzerland » (PDF, 369 kB, 07.09.2022)
- Reappraisal of the scientific evidence linking consumption of foods from specific food groups to NCDs (2020)
- Vegan diets: review of nutritional and health benefits and risks (2018)
- Iodine supply in Switzerland (2013)
- Vitamin D (since 2012)
- Proteins in Human Nutrition (2011)
- Coeliac disease and nutrition in Switzerland (2010)
- Carbohydrates in Human Nutrition (2009)
Last modification 07.09.2022